Midnight Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop by and take a load off. Have a beer or two, converse, and have fun!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tony Dungy on Michael Sam

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SwaggerJagger
Patron
SwaggerJagger

Male

Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Empty
PostSubject: Tony Dungy on Michael Sam   Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 pm

What do you guys think about Tony Dungy's comments about Michael Sam being drafted as an openly gay player? Saying that he would cause a media distraction that won't be good for the team. That's some messed up shit ain't it? I bet if it was back in the day when Jackie Robinson became the first african america baseball player he wouldn't have said that. By his logic, breaking the color barrier was a media distraction that should have never happened either. I guess all sports should still be played by all white guys.
Back to top Go down
Derek
BarKeep
Derek

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dungy on Michael Sam   Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:37 pm

I couldn't agree more. I personally think Dungy is an idiot for those comments. First of all, who cares if it causes a "media distraction" it will pass. That's the price you pay for progressing with human/civil rights, just like you mentioned with the color barrier broken in baseball decades ago...

Rather than commenting on it being a media distraction because the guy's gay, why not go after the media for making such a big deal about it? That would be the smarter move, but he won't do that because he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him, even if it is the truth. Besides, it hasn't even become a big deal as of yet anyway. The biggest deal so far is Dungy's comments themselves, so he is only adding to it with his ignorant statement.

Really, it doesn't make a lick of difference if the guy is gay or not. It's not like he's gonna play grab ass in the locker room. Gay or not, he will maintain the same professionalism as any other athlete. Besides, they already do borderline gay stuff in sports as it is like patting each other on the asses sometimes. I suppose they will get offended if a gay guy does it to another player right? Because he's gay so he's GOTTA be flirting rather than doing it for sportsmanship like everyone else right? Gimme a break...

Really, what it boils down to is pandering to religious groups and conservatives. And let's be honest, if they had it their way, the world would never progress. It would regress and devolve really.
Back to top Go down
https://midnightavern.forumotion.com
SwaggerJagger
Patron
SwaggerJagger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dungy on Michael Sam   Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Exactly man, you got that shit right!
Back to top Go down
Dungy

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dungy on Michael Sam   Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 pm

You guys make some good points but I don't think Dungy was wrong for what he said because all he meant was that it will cause the team to become too distracted by the media for them to concentrate on the actual sport. That will be true to a degree. He doesn't hate gay people but he sees the problems it will create for the team. I agree with him on that and I wouldn't draft an openly gay player either. This isn't the same issue as skin color or rights. He has a right to play on the team but that doesn't mean he should if it will cause problems for the team.
Back to top Go down
Derek
BarKeep
Derek

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dungy on Michael Sam   Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Dungy wrote:
You guys make some good points but I don't think Dungy was wrong for what he said because all he meant was that it will cause the team to become too distracted by the media for them to concentrate on the actual sport. That will be true to a degree. He doesn't hate gay people but he sees the problems it will create for the team. I agree with him on that and I wouldn't draft an openly gay player either. This isn't the same issue as skin color or rights. He has a right to play on the team but that doesn't mean he should if it will cause problems for the team.

Again, whatever distractions it will cause will pass, and I assume fairly quickly; so it isn't really much of an issue. Making a mountain out of a mole hill to be honest. and once they do pass, it will cause other openly gay players to play without going through this nonsense. Same way the color barrier was broken in baseball as Swagger mentioned, thus non whites playing sports is no longer an issue. Of course other factors come into play with that these days, so it is not meant to be a literally 100% comparable example to modern times, but the general message is still the same. So, yeah, it does kinda have to do with rights, as in the right for a gay athlete to play sports without it causing a scene within the media, and people like you and Dungy being afraid to allow progression and fair treatment without discrimination due to ridiculous fears that will, in the end, amount to nothing but a temporary petty distraction at most.
Back to top Go down
https://midnightavern.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dungy on Michael Sam   Tony Dungy on Michael Sam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tony Dungy on Michael Sam
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Midnight Tavern :: The Tavern :: Sports-
Jump to: