Stop by and take a load off. Have a beer or two, converse, and have fun!

HomeFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Derek
BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 pm

It is no secret to some of you that I am an atheist. Check out my blog located in my signature if you'd like. Follow it and comment too. I will be writing a series of blog posts to explain what atheism is as well as clear up misconceptions and rumors about atheism.

So now that that little plug is out of the way, what are your feelings on these subjects? Are you religious or are you an atheist or anti-theist?

Like 99% of atheists, I am the type to not believe in a god or religion for two very simple reasons:

A. There is no scientific evidence or proof of the existence of a god.

B. I do not feel that the discriminatory and prejudice laws, lessons, and doctrines of organized religion are true or fair.

What with today's evolved science I feel like we should be able to locate a sentient, cognitive deity that supposedly permeates the entire universe with his presence when we have the capabilities to locate masses and energies in space that are billions of lightyears away. It just doesn't make any sense. If science ever does evolve to the point any evidence is found, then obviously atheists will no longer be atheists, because we will have to acknowledge the existence of a god. However that doesn't mean atheists will bow to such a god or believe he has any stake in what we do regarding our behaviors and acts in life. We will respect the existence of said god for being the one who put forces into motion to create and balance the universe, but not necessarily bust open church doors and beg for forgiveness. The reason being that scientific evidence of a god is one thing, but asking said god if all the fucked up discriminatory lessons in various religions are true much less which religion is true is a whole other story, of which I doubt we would ever get an answer to. God doesn't seem to keen on public speeches and clear clarification to the masses if he does indeed exist, which as of yet, no evidence of his existence = he doesn't exist. Whether god condones said horrible lessons or not will never be known most likely if he was ever found to exist, but many atheists would rather "burn in hell" than worship a childish deity playing cruel, unfair, childish games as laid out in religious teachings as I mentioned in my blog. If anything, atheists would simply become purely anti-theists as we would still not believe the harmful and thought hindering teachings of religions. However, as atheists we believe such scientific evidence of a god, much less the truthfulness of religions lessons will never become reality. If it does, then that will be a discussion for another day, right? What a day that would be, that's for sure!

I just get sick and tired of people being denied basic human/civil rights throughout history leading up to these modern times (gay marriage, abortions, birth control, etc...) because of religious persecution and discrimination. It's not right. If people wish to practice whatever faith they have, that's fine, do whatever you want behind closed doors. However, trying to impose your religious views to the point they become laws, bans, and subjects of fascist behavior of an entire society is going way too far IMO. Whatever your feelings are about atheism, you have to admit that the world would be a more peaceful, less discriminatory place without god or religion. Without proof of a gods existence and religious truth, there is no point in clinging to god and religion so blindly to the point you wish to control all of society with your evidence-less faith.

View user profile http://midnightavern.forumotion.com
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 pm

I've calmed down considerably from my past anti-theistic behavior... However, I do agree that religion can be harmful, but I am also much less liberal than I was in the past, as well... I have become a moderate, I think fighting against different ideologies as much as America does is generally harmful, but fighting for atheist rights is the most necessary movement.

For one, we are the most hated minority in America... That's something that we need to change. The religious are likely just in denial and are mad at us for pointing that out, and that's primarily why they hate us. Although Anti-Theists don't really help the minority's reputation, I can certainly see where they're coming from... I myself know that religion is the most harmful aspect of humanity, as well as being an Anti-Theist in the past.

I'll look at your articles later, BTW, Mishimi.

BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 pm

There's nothing harmful about being an anti-theist though. There is a clear difference between being an anti-theist trying to educate people and speak out, and being an extremist anti-theist in the same manner as being an extremist religious person.

The majority of anti-theists don't go around causing violent acts and discrimination of civil rights such as religious folks do. Obviously you have fanatical extremists who do use violence and try to end religious practices in general, which are in fact discrimination of rights, but I also believe that most ant-theists just want to educate people on the harmful effects of religion to the point the religious don't try enforcing an entire society to fall to their laws and "religious policies" and just practice whatever faith you wish behind closed doors, stop butting into other peoples affairs and mind your own business.

After all, whether you are religious or not, if you intend to do harm or try to stop peoples civil rights in general, you will do so whether you are religious, or godless. But I wouldn't blame anti-theism for that in general, but more so people being to overzealous and at times, mentally unstable. Religion on the other hand programs these intolerant views into peoples heads. Anti-Theism doesn't really do that. They just believe religion is harmful to society, but no where in anti-theism does it suggests we should harm religious people or enact violence or pure discrimination in order to get the message across that religion is harmful to a society when it's views are imposed on all of society.

If religious people did in fact practice their faiths behind closed doors and never tried to impose it as societal law, then anti-theists wouldn't even exist because they'd have no problem with people being religious if they as individuals want to as they wouldn't be harming society with said faith and beliefs.

View user profile http://midnightavern.forumotion.com
Skelter
Patron

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:08 am

Dude, I'm such an atheist, it's not even funny. I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think that's happening any time soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 pm

I read your first article and I agree with everything, Mishimi...

So many ignorant misconceptions about Atheists... I wonder where they came from...

Why are we even the most hated minority when many do good deeds, anyway?

Patron

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 am

People like to think Morality stems from religion, thats why they think we are immoral heathens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:25 am

I also agree with Mishimi that if you need your religion for morals... You're insane, even for a religious person.

Patron

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:30 am

Well, believing in magic and people in boats is crazy dude..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:32 am

People in boats?

You just mean the Noah story, right, LOL?

Patron

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 am

Yip,that crazy nut and his boat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sgtmartin

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:27 am

Skelter wrote:
Dude, I'm such an atheist, it's not even funny. I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think that's happening any time soon.
Your gonna be proven wrong when you are standing in front of the magic man when you pass. XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism   

Back to top Go down

Religion and God VS. Anti-Theism and Atheism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Midnight Tavern :: The Bar Stool :: Intellectual Exchanges-
Jump to: