Stop by and take a load off. Have a beer or two, converse, and have fun!

HomeFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Good comic recommendations?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Derek
BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:34 pm

I haven't read any in a long time, so lay some suggestions on me, folks!  Smile

Last edited by Derek on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://midnightavern.forumotion.com
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 am

One Piece
Berserk
Toriko (Read the Manga only, the Anime is hot garbage)
Slam Dunk
Fullmetal Alchemist

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 am

Any specific genre? Shonen, shoujo etc. Also, what have you already read?

"Blink and you're dead" - David Tennant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Captain Cadaver

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 am

You'd have to say what your tastes and favourite genres consist of before I recommend anything, although I can fully approve of most of the titles Yoshi mentioned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwaggerJagger
Patron

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 pm

The movie is coming out soon so if you haven't read any of Guardians of the Galaxy comics you should check those out and a series called Fury: My War Gone By is pretty awesome

Derek
BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:27 pm

SwaggerJagger wrote:
The movie is coming out soon so if you haven't read any of Guardians of the Galaxy comics you should check those out and a series called Fury: My War Gone By is pretty awesome

I would like to check out some of the GotG comics actually.

Fury? As in Nick Fury?

To you others, just make suggestions. I will either check them out or I won't. I'm not gonna list all I have read since I was a kid and I don't really care about specific genres.
Back to top Go down
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Also, Mishimi... Make a MyAnimeList Account... Literally everyone I'm friends with that are fans of anime on DBZF has one and you should too... It'll help you watch and read loads of Anime & Manga.

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 am

[quote="Derek"]
SwaggerJagger wrote:

To you others, just make suggestions. I will either check them out or I won't. I'm not gonna list all I have read since I was a kid and I don't really care about specific genres.

Alright then...

Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star - A good manga to check out if you enjoy a plot taking place in a bleak setting with a bunch of badass characters. If you enjoy things that are often considered "manly", this series is the best you're going to get in that category. It's also one of the best for martial arts fans due to how fluid and skilful each character's movements are in battle, not to mention the art is fantastic.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Initially inspired by HnK, this series keeps staying fresh after 110 volumes, with each part featuring a new protagonist, new setting and new plot, helping it stay creative with many elements that are unique for a Shonen.

Gintama - Easily the funniest manga/anime I've ever viewed. For those that like South Park/Family Guy-esque random or bawdy humour along with parodies of almost every well known manga series, this is a definite must watch.

Yu Yu Hakusho - If you like most battle Shonen, this should be one to check out. The events of the Chapter Black Arc and Mukuro's backstory will also appeal to those who like darker Shonen series.

Devilman - Many aspects of the plot are similar to (and probably the basis for) Berserk. Those that like post-apocalyptic series and ones that show humanity's ugliness are in for a treat with this.

Rurouni Kenshin - A good series for those that enjoy period pieces and looking for Shonen slightly different from your regular fighting series.

Vagabond - Like Rurouni Kenshin, a highly recommended series for anyone into sword-based action in a historical setting. This one's a Seinen as well, which will appeal to those who want to branch out of the Shonen demograph.

Kongo Bancho - I'd recommend watching something such as HnK or JoJo first in order to see the inspirations for this series. It's basically a good read for anyone who likes a very over the top series, as well as the older titles from the 80s. of which it's mainly a big tribute to.

Sakigake!! Otokojuku - Once again, another over the top series inspired by HnK that has a lot of creativity in the various martial arts shown throughout it. The one downside to it is that the series contains numerous plot holes and deus ex machina, so I'd only recommend it if you're not looking for a masterpiece of writing.

Kinnikuman - Once more, an over the top wrestling/martial arts series that features a lot of problems in consistency and deus ex machina. However, it makes up for it in it's creative character designs and fairly likeable cast.

Saint Seiya - A classic series that should appeal to those who enjoy both action series and Greek Mythology. It does, however, suffer from the same problems I listed in the above series, but once again makes up for it in creativity and characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek
BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Captain Cadaver wrote:
Derek wrote:
SwaggerJagger wrote:

Alright then...

Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star - A good manga to check out if you enjoy a plot taking place in a bleak setting with a bunch of badass characters. If you enjoy things that are often considered "manly", this series is the best you're going to get in that category. It's also one of the best for martial arts fans due to how fluid and skilful each character's movements are in battle, not to mention the art is fantastic.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Initially inspired by HnK, this series keeps staying fresh after 110 volumes, with each part featuring a new protagonist, new setting and new plot, helping it stay creative with many elements that are unique for a Shonen.

Gintama - Easily the funniest manga/anime I've ever viewed. For those that like South Park/Family Guy-esque random or bawdy humour along with parodies of almost every well known manga series, this is a definite must watch.

Yu Yu Hakusho - If you like most battle Shonen, this should be one to check out. The events of the Chapter Black Arc and Mukuro's backstory will also appeal to those who like darker Shonen series.

Devilman - Many aspects of the plot are similar to (and probably the basis for) Berserk. Those that like post-apocalyptic series and ones that show humanity's ugliness are in for a treat with this.

Rurouni Kenshin - A good series for those that enjoy period pieces and looking for Shonen slightly different from your regular fighting series.

Vagabond - Like Rurouni Kenshin, a highly recommended series for anyone into sword-based action in a historical setting. This one's a Seinen as well, which will appeal to those who want to branch out of the Shonen demograph.

Kongo Bancho - I'd recommend watching something such as HnK or JoJo first in order to see the inspirations for this series. It's basically a good read for anyone who likes a very over the top series, as well as the older titles from the 80s. of which it's mainly a big tribute to.

Sakigake!! Otokojuku - Once again, another over the top series inspired by HnK that has a lot of creativity in the various martial arts shown throughout it. The one downside to it is that the series contains numerous plot holes and deus ex machina, so I'd only recommend it if you're not looking for a masterpiece of writing.

Kinnikuman - Once more, an over the top wrestling/martial arts series that features a lot of problems in consistency and deus ex machina. However, it makes up for it in it's creative character designs and fairly likeable cast.

Saint Seiya - A classic series that should appeal to those who enjoy both action series and Greek Mythology. It does, however, suffer from the same problems I listed in the above series, but once again makes up for it in creativity and characters.

See, that was easy, and it is a very good list of suggestions as the only one I've read on your list is YuYu Hakusho. Big fan of that series to be honest. It is one of my top 3 series' of all time. My top 3 being Dragon Ball, YuYu Hakusho, and Bleach.

Thanks man!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Captain Cadaver

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:13 pm

If you like Bleach, you should like Saint Seiya as well, given how Kubo's talked about it being a big inspiration for his work, which is heavily noticeable in both series sharing many "damsel in distress" plots in their story arcs.

It's also notable that Bleach's plot is very shaky after Soul Society, so given that, I'm sure you won't mind about the downsides for the other works I mentioned. It also depends how much time you'd want to put into them, since most of the ones I mentioned are as long as you'd expect for popular Shonen series, with the only short ones being Devilman at about 4 volumes and Kongo Bancho at 12 volumes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek
BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Captain Cadaver wrote:
If you like Bleach, you should like Saint Seiya as well, given how Kubo's talked about it being a big inspiration for his work, which is heavily noticeable in both series sharing many "damsel in distress" plots in their story arcs.

It's also notable that Bleach's plot is very shaky after Soul Society, so given that, I'm sure you won't mind about the downsides for the other works I mentioned. It also depends how much time you'd want to put into them, since most of the ones I mentioned are as long as you'd expect for popular Shonen series, with the only short ones being Devilman at about 4 volumes and Kongo Bancho at 12 volumes.

Yeah well that's fine by me. Despite the fact that two of my top 3 favorite manga series' of all time are long as hell (DB and Bleach) I actually prefer shorter series' most of the time. That is one thing I liked about YYH, it wasn't overly long. DB and Bleach are exceptions (Although Bleach, sometimes does get old and annoying, yet still my top 3) so that is preferable.

One main reason Bleach is in my top 3, despite the fact it gets annoying and old to me sometimes (especially Kubo's brand of humor) is Aizen. He is my all time favorite character in all of fiction. Regardless of his brokenness and cheapness factors, it is his cunning, charming, devious, deceptive, callous, and intelligent factors that make me like him that much. I have always been drawn to villains more than heroes, even though I do like the heroes. I mean i'm not a callous prick IRL and would never condone people being like that IRL obviously, but the villains always gain my adoration more for some odd reason in fantasy settings. For example, Freeza is my all time favorite DB character, and Younger Toguro is my all time favorite character in YYH. I'm like a dumb girl who is attracted to the prick bad boys! Hahaa
Back to top Go down
Skelter
Patron

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 pm

The Walking dead graphic Novels are awesome, Much better than the show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek
BarKeep

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm

That's what I hear. I mean to keep checking it out but haven't yet. I do love the show too.

Fugely

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Have you ever heard of a comic called The Maxx? Its an old comic but pretty cool in a weird way
Back to top Go down
Captain Cadaver

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 am

Derek wrote:

One main reason Bleach is in my top 3, despite the fact it gets annoying and old to me sometimes (especially Kubo's brand of humor) is Aizen. He is my all time favorite character in all of fiction. Regardless of his brokenness and cheapness factors, it is his cunning, charming, devious, deceptive, callous, and intelligent factors that make me like him that much. I have always been drawn to villains more than heroes, even though I do like the heroes. I mean i'm not a callous prick IRL and would never condone people being like that IRL obviously, but the villains always gain my adoration more for some odd reason in fantasy settings. For example, Freeza is my all time favorite DB character, and Younger Toguro is my all time favorite character in YYH. I'm like a dumb girl who is attracted to the prick bad boys! Hahaa
If Aizen is a key reason to that, you should definitely check out JoJo, since Dio plays the role of a sophisticated, calculating villain better than perhaps any villain I've seen in a manga series (except perhaps Light in Death Note and to a more abstract extent, Griffith in Berserk). Given that, you should at least check out the first 3 parts (volumes 1 - 28) or just watch the new anime series (26 episodes for season 1 and currently 18 episodes for season 2).

If DB is one of your top 3, I'm sure you'd enjoy Kinnikuman as well, since a lot of the ideas in it might've been the inspiration for many parts of DB (Chojin Olympics=Tenkaichi Budokai, Chojin Kyoudo being the original power level concept in manga. Starts off as a gag series before becoming a serious battle Shonen). The only downside is it's length of 36 volumes, which becomes even longer when factoring in it's sequel and reboot (though the latter can't seem to be found in English), as well as the art starting off pretty horrendous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwaggerJagger
Patron

Male

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:42 pm

A lot of you dudes are into anime huh? Maaaan I could never get into it. It looks cool but I always lose interest.

Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Oh, Mishimi... Have you heard of Hunter X Hunter? It's made by the same author as Yu Yu Hakusho.

I haven't watched it, but I think you'll like it, personally... From what I've heard, it's similar to Dragon Ball.

Watch the 2011 Anime, though.

PostSubject: Re: Good comic recommendations?    

Back to top Go down

Good comic recommendations?
Page 1 of 1