Midnight Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop by and take a load off. Have a beer or two, converse, and have fun!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Debate Tournament

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek
BarKeep
Derek

Male

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 pm

I would like to start a debate tournament. I think it will add some needed substance here other than casual conversation and forum games. The only thing is we need to come up with a subject to debate about. Subjects revolving around entertainment and casual subjects are fine, but I would rather see a debate tournament revolving around something more important. Something that matters. World events/issues/controversies/wars/religion/politics/etc... Stuff like that.

Obviously a debate tournament would revolve around people signing up for it, two people debating at a time in an elimination style tournament, until a winner is decided. Once we come up with an actual subject to debate about, then we will get more in depth about the rules and such of the tournament itself.

So what kinds of subjects would you guys like to see debated about?
Back to top Go down
https://midnightavern.forumotion.com
Captain Cadaver

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 am

Fiction would be one, or more specifically, manga/anime, since I'd be well versed in quite a few to be both entertained and interested in this debate tournament. I'd assume Yoshi would say the same, so if such things are discussable by a fair amount in this tournament, I'll give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
kingstist
kingstist

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 12:25 pm

World issues I feel would spark too much controversy depending on the subject matter. Anime/Manga or any fiction in general would be preferable, as Yoshi and CC said.
Back to top Go down
Derek
BarKeep
Derek

Male

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Yoshi wrote:
As CC guessed, I would be interested in debating Video Games and Anime/Manga, but fiction in general, too... I used to be interested in debating Global issues, but there's just too much bias in the media, now.

What does bias in the media have to do with anything? That's the WHOLE point of debating, to form your own logic, opinions, and views in conjunction with research of non biased sources. You wouldn't be sourcing info from sources that have an opinion one way or the other, just cold, hard facts.

Kingstist - Controversy is the point. Well one point, not the main point. Nothing wrong with controversy. You can spark a debate with controversy without it turning into a shitfest of anger and negative connotations.

Anyway, it doesn't much matter anyway as you guys have pretty much made it clear what you want, and that is what we will do. Unless we get more mixed responses within the next few days, which I am not sure we will as this forum is still very new with not many members, soooooo, unless a wave of replies wanting more serious matters debated about arise, we will go ahead and do an entertainment based debate tournament.

If the i's win for an entertainment medium based debate, then the next step will be what specific subject and the topics to be discussed, but let's wait a few days or so before we get into that.
Back to top Go down
Skelter
Patron
Skelter

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 pm

If it's the right topic, I am down. But I rather judge.
Back to top Go down
Derek
BarKeep
Derek

Male

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 pm

I would need another judge or two, but it will be hard to get judges to sign up with only a few people signing up. We will have to see how many people sign up over the near future I suppose. I definitely do not want to be the sole judge.
Back to top Go down
SwaggerJagger
Patron
SwaggerJagger

Male

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 pm

I'll join!! Whatever the debate is about I'm in.
Back to top Go down
Skelter
Patron
Skelter

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Well, you have a judge here...
Back to top Go down
Skelter
Patron
Skelter

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 am

Well, when this starts, let me know. Im ready to judge.
Back to top Go down
Skelter
Patron
Skelter

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 am

Maybe Kenshi?? Saw him around not to long ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Debate Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate Tournament   Debate Tournament Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Debate Tournament
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Midnight Tavern :: The Bar Stool :: General Conversation-
Jump to: